Nipper Development Program
Welcome to Goolwa SLSC and the Nipper Development Program. We welcome our new members and those who have come from seasons before. The Nipper Development Program is all about Surf Life Saving. It focuses on having fun, teaching surf education skills, provide opportunities for nipper development and encouraging community awareness
for nippers aged 5 – 13 years (U6 – U13).
Our aim is to provide a safe, friendly and welcoming environment where the nippers can interact and enjoy Goolwa Surf Life Saving Club. Our nippers will have access to training and development in a range of areas, as well as opportunities to participate in surf sport carnivals for those who wish to participate. We hope in years to come we will have formed a new generation of Goolwa Surf Life
We encourage all parents to participate in our Nipper Development Program, whether it be providing water cover, running training programs, fundraising or cooking the BBQ. Like all volunteer organisations, we can only be as good as the help we get.
Who can join the Goolwa Nipper Program?
The membership categories are determined as of midnight September 30th of each year. Any nipper who is aged between 5 – 13 years by September 30th 2020 may register for the Goolwa Surf Life Saving Club Nipper Program. Based on the age at the registration point, Nippers will be placed into age specific groups as determined by Surf Life Saving SA. Nippers are not able to go up or down in age groups.
What is involved in the Nipper Program?
Our Nipper Program will focus on many key areas. These include:
- An Introduction to Surf Life Saving – About the program and history of Surf Life Saving
- Personal Safety – What it means to feel safe and asking for help
- Eco Surf – Learn what makes up a beach ecosystem and water conservation
- Sun Safety – Understanding what it means to be sunsmart – Slip Slop Slap Wrap Slide
- Surf Conditions and Hazards – Identifying the dangers at the beach, including rips
Surf Safety – Types of danger you can get into:
- First Aid and Resuscitation – Identify the principles of DRABCD and CPR techniques
- The Human Body – Understand how the body’s major organ systems relate to First Aid scenarios
- Rescue Techniques – Recognise and develop an understanding of preventative actions
- Signs and Signals – Learn the signs and signals of surf life saving, including the Red and Yellow flags
- Board Paddling, Swimming and Running Skill Development
What is the Nipper Membership Fee and Registration Process?
The 2020 – 2021 fee structure for the Goolwa Nippers Program is as follows:
- Family Membership $350 (includes 2 adults & 2 children OR 1 adult and 3 children)
- Single Parent Family Membership $180 (includes 1 adult & 1 child)
- Additional Nippers $90
We are a Sports Voucher club, which can save families $100 per child. Please fill out a Sports Voucher application form when you register your membership if you would like to access the program.
The registration process is completely online. For new members, please head to the Surf Life Saving SA website and register to become a member. For past members, please renew your membership through the membership portal. To pay for your membership, please attend the Registration Day on Saturday 26th or Sunday 27th September 2020 to pay the fee in full. All nipper fees are due by October 31st. Unfortunately, nippers are unable to participate in the program until the membership fees are paid. New nippers who are joining our for the first time are able to access two free “Come and Try” sessions. When new families decide to continue with the program following the “Come and Try” all fees will be due by Nov 30th.
Download the Summary
Nippers Development Program
Download the infomation pack for…
For more information on our Nippers program and range of activities for current and prospective members.
For more information on our Youth program and range of activities for past, current and prospective members.
Find everything you need to know about becoming a member of our SLSC patrol groups.